POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finally reaching the floating point error regime: an homage to POV-Team : Finally reaching the floating point error regime: an homage to POV-Team Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Finally reaching the floating point error regime: an homage to POV-Team
From: gregjohn
Date: 18 May 2011 07:35:01
Message: <web.4dd3ae99b89b3ad534d207310@news.povray.org>
Povray is a million times better!

The two images below show the beneft of the improvement to the mandel pattern
pigment which is possible because of the increased limit to ITERATIONS.  Both
images are the same essentially the same code, except for the ITERATIONS value
in the mandel pattern.  The one with black squares at the end represents a
povray 3.6 render, using its limit of 32000.  The other one is a frame from an
animation where I start at 32000 and increase, using 3.7RC3, and I've probably
increased by a factor of around 500 by this frame.

As one can see, the 3.6 code looses out on what turns out to be three orders of
magnitude in the magnification!  On an area basis, this becomes six orders!

A sincere thank-you to the POV-Team for responsiveness in making improvements.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fracpos04kvd36.png' (412 KB)

Preview of image 'fracpos04kvd36.png'