POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Fashion : Re: Persistence of Fashion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Fashion
From: gregjohn
Date: 10 May 2011 07:45:00
Message: <web.4dc924b69751590134d207310@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > But Ive, it looks like in your last comment, you just provided more
> > evidence for the UV hypothesis. You held back on hyper-realism in
> > order to provide *some* benefit, and whatever reason is analogous to
> >  the "emotional response" in the Y-axis of the UV.
>
>    I don't believe that the UV can be applied to anything else than
> human-like things. The hypothesis only applies to human-like things, and
> every explanation about it only covers human characteristics.
>
>    Your aversion for hyper-realism it's something else... it can be
> something similar to my dislike for surrealism or abstraction: I just
> underrate failed attempts because of my own inability to create good
> images on these styles.
>
> --
> Jaime Vives Piqueres
>
> La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
> http://www.ignorancia.org

I'm a fan of the y-axis in Uncanny Valley: there is good hyper-realism, and good
stylized work, with a lot of garbage inbetween.  I could take Ive's work and
start adding all of the "defects" that realism experts talk of: dust, dirt, lens
flare, focal blur, imperfections, spots, diseased areas, impossibly bent necks,
etc.  We know that if I did this, the emotional response Y-axis to the improved
shoe scene would be lower.  I'm an anti-fan of the celebration of decay and
disease that is the case in the leading male character of "Mars Needs Moms".
The movie "Rio" more than made 3X its investment in 1/3 the time of "Rango."  In
the closing credits of "Rango", there were a group of folks listed as "Emotion
Capture," and in the publicity for "Rio", there's a bunch of footage of
animators having a great time acting out scenes in front of mirrors. IMO, Rio is
much more fun to watch.

FWIW, acting alone, I can produce something neither of the quality of "Beowulf"
nor of "The Incredibles" but I can speak of a difference between them. Same as
NASCAR drivers, football teams, etc.

I prepared this table for my own fun, hope it's fun for others too see too.
There's a celebration of defects in the realism more often at the top.

Gross Cost ROI Title  UV?
36 150 -76% Mars Needs Moms   Yes
196 150 31% Beowulf            Yes
245 147 67% Hulk (2003)  Yes