POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple users : Re: Install for multiple users Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:29:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple users
From: Erich
Date: 9 May 2011 09:40:00
Message: <web.4dc7ee38262955309b17e07a0@news.povray.org>
> This is actually a form of installer functionality. The part of
> the installer that creates per-user files could be "advertised" so
> it runs when the user first attempts to start the application.

Huh. I learn something new everyday.  :)

> According to this thread,

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.4c53e2dba045f70ec0721a1d0@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=359570&toff=
50

> that was at least intended to be in the final release.

(Interestingly, I couldn't see the link until I replied.)  There is another,
more elegant, (though likely complex to implement) solution too... use a sort of
settings "layering".  Have the default settings in .INIs under the install
(Program Files) directory, and if the user has any .INIs with settings in their
profile (in an installer-created folder structure), allow them to override.  An
additional layer could be put in place to have enforced settings that
won't/can't be overridden.  This would allow administrators to force some
settings, set others to default and give users the ability to set their own.
Apps like PowerShell and Privoxy do this.

> Note that Vista or higher seems to support symbolic
> links, so it might be possible to avoid the copying into user
> profiles and redirect to a shared location.

NTFS junctions may be a good solution.  I'll have to read up and do some
testing.

Thanks,
Erich