POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 1839 Deguerretype : Re: 1839 Deguerretype Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1839 Deguerretype
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 Apr 2011 13:40:00
Message: <web.4da9d3ea9e12480bb05ef170@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >
> That brushed metal finish on the lens housing looks great, how was it made?

Just micro-normal approach with heavy focal blur AA.  The normals are biased to
get the directional effects (e.g. circular normals for the radial).

The more I think of it, the more I imagine this would be done much more
efficiently internally where normals gould be averaged much more smoothly.

> This reminds me of a recent Wired article:
> http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_daguerrotype_panorama/ A very
> interesting read: it really makes me wish I could get a hold of some hi-res
> daguerreotype scans just to gaze at.

This is really cool stuff.  Thanks for sharing it.

-tgq