POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 1839 Deguerretype : Re: 1839 Deguerretype Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1839 Deguerretype
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 15 Apr 2011 20:45:00
Message: <web.4da8e5709e12480bc1b0476d0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Textures and model are very clean as I was crunched for time and didn't get to
> develop them very much.  Model is all CSG hand modelled (label is an image map
> though)

That brushed metal finish on the lens housing looks great, how was it made?

> world and represents the initial spark that began the worldwide spread of
> photography. It was made in Paris from 1839 in limited numbers from original

> brother-in-law, Alphones Giroux." (from
> http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/giroux.htm)

This reminds me of a recent Wired article:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_daguerrotype_panorama/ A very
interesting read: it really makes me wish I could get a hold of some hi-res
daguerreotype scans just to gaze at.

On a related note, It would be fun to travel to different cities and photograph
scenes with some hi-res camera like the new gigapixel cameras that are being
developed:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gigapixel-camera-revealed In a
single snapshot images that would have taken minutes to photograph and piece
together can be made in a fraction of the time...

peer into the past with such detail? Resonance interpreters haven't been
developed yet...

~Sam