POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Apr 2011 10:15:00
Message: <web.4d9c746ade0056969a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663530/did-the-uncanny-valley-kill-disneys-cgi-company

>   What I don't understand about these few movies which try to approach
> 100% realism with 100% CGI is why. What's the point? Why not use real
> actors for humans and CGI for others? It's not like it hasn't been done
> before (and quite successfully at that).

Having 100% control of everything visible on screen, from stuff that shouldn't
be there, to exact performances, to other camera angles for these exact
performances is a pipe dream for most novie directors I guess.  You can only
achieve that with 100% digitized stuff ready for easy digital tweaking when
needed.  Why wait for a great sunny day to shoot when your digital sun and blue
sky look better with no sign of smog?

It's an irreversible future, I think.  Simply recording the images was just the
primitive beginning...