POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley : Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Mars needs to get the heck out of the Uncanny Valley
From: gregjohn
Date: 5 Apr 2011 07:10:01
Message: <web.4d9af7b4d78362ba34d207310@news.povray.org>
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663530/did-the-uncanny-valley-kill-disneys-cgi-company

Interesting article claims that the Uncanny Valley (UV) is what is killing the
new movie, and rightly shut down a whole division of Disney.  The UV is probably
something my work is guilty of but it epitomizes what I don't like about some
others' CG, and influences my view of encouraging "realism" in povray. I think
it's even possible to have UV landscapes or indoor scenes.

I also think that the new "Rango" movie is also guilty of some UV, and a whole
lot of "lets through a few $1E7 around for hyper-realism."  I'm actually
surprised how much good press it's getting. But I predict it won't have the
staying power in the heart of other CG movies with less realism.