POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: nemesis
Date: 3 Apr 2011 00:55:00
Message: <web.4d97fd80984fdae8f91e30d20@news.povray.org>
stbenge <"egnebts <-inverted"@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/1/2011 11:22 AM, nemesis wrote:
> >
> > Shadow maps are another incredible effect, allowing for much shadowing
> > on characters and even self-shadowing. They are lowrez after all, but
> > still impressive.
> >

> Have you ever played Splinter Cell for the 1st Xbox? Shadow maps really
> gave that game justice.

yeah, the original XBox was definitely ahead of both PS2 and GC.

> > It's amazing how we've gone from blocky characters with almost no
> > texturing besides goraud shading and circular ground shadows in the
> > first generation of 3D hardware,
>
> Super Mario 64 was great...

it indeed was.  Magical at the time.

> > in the second
> > generation to fully detailed models with fine details provided by
> > normal/spec maps and self-shadowing and environment shadows casted upon
> > them nowadays. It's a marvel to behold.
>
> It must be. I don't know whether to get a handhold emulator or the next
> best Xbox... (or a Wii, because Mario games /rock/)

the Wii is a GC under different plastic box.  It's got none of the hardware
prowess of 360 and PS3 whatsoever.  You'll be playing games with same graphics
of past 10 years.  Mario Galaxy is awesome, but I can't have my gaming fix on
just Mario and Link alone.  Even Samus Aran should have ended her career in
Super Metroid or the first Metroid Prime...