POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It had to happen again... : Re: It had to happen again... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It had to happen again...
From: nemesis
Date: 25 Mar 2011 15:55:01
Message: <web.4d8cf2fd984fdae8773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I warmly recommend Assassin's Creed 2.

it's certainly on my list once I end Altair's quest.

> I don't know how it is on the PS3,
> but on the Xbox 360 it looks really gorgeous.

They are pretty equivalent, whatever Sony's hype for the Cell.  PS3 looks
slightly graphically better on its exclusives by its second parties, but for
multiplatform 360 has an edge, since it's basically PC tech and producers tend
to target that.

> They really pushed the
> technical capabilities of the console. (The Xbox 360 often suffers from
> surprisingly poor graphics compared to a top-of-the-line modern PC, most
> probably because the console has so little RAM, but this game certainly
> doesn't show such limitations.)

PC gaming is out of reach for a Linux guy.

In any case, PC gaming is cramped by the success of consoles:  what does it
matter to have all that power when it's used basically to run console game ports
with resolutions going higher than your monitor supports and frame rates higher
than your eyes support... LOL  Nextgen gaming to me is not playing Wii games on
PC via emulator with top settings, it's playing games that were not possible
before on previous hardware.  It was total shock coming from Shadow of the
Colossus to Assassin's Creed -- that's nextgen no doubt.

Plus I never enjoyed typical PC games like FPS, strategy and simulations... I've
been grown on arcades and consoles...

> I was also surprised how much I liked the
> game otherwise (I was not expecting much because Oblivion pretty much
> immunized me to the wonders of free open sandbox gameplay.)

I'm not a fan of open-world when it comes to GTA, where you just mindlessly roam
around bullying and killing people -- plus I play games to get away from
everyday reality and being thrown into a typical urban environment is not my
idea of fun.  Thus, although you are a professional historical assassin in AC,
such freedom is put to good use by having main goals, having to explore the
environment to find out how to tackle them and having many minor objectives...
let alone the great historical setting and top graphics.