POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Underwater air bubbles : Underwater air bubbles Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Underwater air bubbles
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 23 Mar 2011 20:50:01
Message: <web.4d8a94d263bfe2d8e1fc6c440@news.povray.org>
High! :-)

This is just a quick test of an idea I had for underwater air bubbles.

There's a point set of 4D vectors containing bubble positions and sizes. For
each
bubble there is a blob. For each blob all other points are tested, and if
another
bubble comes close to the current bubble, a blob is subtracted from it. A
duplicate blob is also subtracted from underneath each bubble. Parse times
aren't
so horrible for low-count point sets (<250), and the render times aren't bad at
all.

The first part of the basic idea came from someone from these newsgroups, but I
can't remember who it was :(

The initial render (/the/ render) took less than 50 seconds with max_trace_level
set at 10. In-POV post-processing luminous bloom and chromatic aberration
effects
were applied. Textured fog was also used.

The arrangement of the bubbles was the hardest part, as there needs to be a
logical progression of large->small bubbles.

There's more that can be done, such as having the larger bubbles capsizing into
numerous smaller ones below, but I'm not quite sure how to script that yet...

~Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'underwater-air-bubbles.jpg' (125 KB)

Preview of image 'underwater-air-bubbles.jpg'
underwater-air-bubbles.jpg