POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 21 Mar 2011 09:40:01
Message: <web.4d875491f5e1e8f881c811d20@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> You have some quite distracting color banding on the rear wall and you

I've noticed this.  This looks like it is coming from the very dim 'fill'
lighting I am using along part of the projector beam.  The light intensity is
right near the bottom of the colour depth so it tends to get stepped.  I tried
it with HDR image type output and the banding disappears (converting the HDR
back to JPG or PNG reintroduces it).  I may either have to adjust how I approach
this light, adjust the texturing to better mask it, or just get rid of it
completely.

> The main problems within your previous version seems to me: almost 50%
> of the pixels are pitch black (rgb 0,0,0) and plain black pixels is
> something that should (for photorealistic images) be avoided like the
> plague.
> Even within this brighter version are almost 25% pixels just black (the
> upper walls, ceiling, the pylons, the speakers and parts below the seats).

There is a very good reason for this:  durrently those particular parts have a
'rgb 0' pigment attached.

> > I tried to do some calibration with my monitor.
>
> See my 'Calibration' post, it might help.
>
> -Ive

Helps a little.  I think the big problem before was my monitor gamma was bumped
way too high.  However the brightness setting is something I could not find a
lot of information on previously.  When calibrating before and fixing the gamma,
I had bumped this right down (0%), but using your posting I have it somewhat
higher (40%).

-tgq