POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee #2 : Re: Matinee #2 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee #2
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Mar 2011 15:05:01
Message: <web.4d83ac9b4b0f308481c811d20@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> Am 18.03.2011 15:25, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
>
> > There aren't any criticisms ... but agreed I /can/ see how a little more
> > radiosity work couldn't hurt.
> >
> > I really like how you can see reflection of the screen in his eye's ...
> > also the seating (plastic part) ... nailed it!
>
> Thanks. What about the brightness? As sayd in my response to Robert this
> *is* one of the aspects I'm quite unsure.
>

>  >Cool Bowie tee!
>
> ;) I knew there was a reason to store all my long player records in the
> basement even if I will not listen them anymore - the cover art!
>
> -Ive

Brightness is tough as it is somewhat of an artistic decision.  For the human
eye, the brightness would be relative to how long one's been in the theatre
..i.e. your pupils widen the longer you are exposed to lower light, allowning
brighter perception of the scene.  The lighting hasn't changed, just the
viewer's perception of it.

You don't want to brighten it up so that is seems unnaturally bright like the
lights are on, but you do want it bright enough to notice the scene while
maintaining the feel of being in the theatre.  Generally, the lighting you have
doesn't look too bad.

If you want to brighten it, make sure you do it while maintain the feel.  The
main lighting on the character will be coming from the screen, so it should
mainly come from that direction, preferably as an area light (this is why for my
scene I created an image based, area light area, to simulate the actual screen
reflected light).  You may have some secondary lighting coming from the theatre
lights (ceilings and walls), but generally these would be low enough that the
have no noticeable effect on the scene as a whole, but only localized bright
spots at their locations.
One other source of light would be from the projector beam (this is the next
light I am going to add to my scene when I get back to it): the dust in the air
would tend to scatter it a little.  This would be minor compared to the screen
lighting, but could still have some general ambient effects on the scene, for
example some possible minor lighting around the projector window, and minor
directional area lighting on the chracter and seats.  I would probably keep this
to 10% or less of the screen relative brightness, as you don't want it to
overpower and be directly noticeable and competing with the main lighting, but
just add subtle ambience and complement the main lighting.

Overall good work.  Nice to see another POVer getting involved in th 'big boy'
challenges to show em what we can do!  Hopefully I can pull away from my other
sidetracking here at some point to get back to my scene a little more.  One
difficulty I have with this type of scene is texturing, as I like to try to make
things realistic looking, but we are dealing with a cartoon-type character.

-tgq