POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crevice grime : Re: Crevice grime Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:34:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crevice grime
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 17 Mar 2011 09:55:01
Message: <web.4d82121a50dd01dd81c811d20@news.povray.org>
> Am 17.03.2011 03:49, schrieb Trevor G Quayle:
>
> > The interpolate 2 seems to cause banding at the transition points.
>
> Cubic interpolation produces "overshoot" and "undershoot" at sharp
> transitions. I usually store values from 0.25 to 0.75 in df3 files to
> avoid such problems.

I guess this is partly the wrap-around banding.  I have tried a few fixes, but
none are satisfactory.  Probably just best to not use interpolate 2 for my
current usage and stick with linear or perahps my own function coded
interpolation.

> > One thing I noticed is that with interpolate 1 there is a distinct shift down
> > and to the left.  Is there a bias in the internal interpolate function?  This is
> > something that I have noticed before with interpolate.
>
> It was known (and fixed) for interpolation of input images, but has
> never been examined for df3 files yet.

I ran a test with a 1/2 pixel shift which corrected it, so it does look like
this just needs to be corrected for df3 files in the code.

-tgq