POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Database Engine : Re: Database Engine Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Database Engine
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2011 13:40:01
Message: <web.4d7e5220810a6e60773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I am looking for information and recommendations for a database engine.
>
> We are setting up a relational database system that may reside on a
> database server in the future.
>
> Linux based solution preferred
>
> Something that is easy to set up and back up and restore.
>    even a sql sump is ok
>
> I will be using relationships (pk/fk) to keep data straight.
>
> Triggers and stored procedures are a big plus.
>
> The possibility of using GIS functionality int he future will be taken
> into consideration.
>

> What are your thoughts on a good system to use?

you are very obviously asking for Postgresql:

http://www.postgresql.org/

besides being the most robust open-source DBMS out there, one of the very first
features I noticed was this strange thing called GIS.  This was back then, today
I learned Postgresql comes with no GIS on its own, instead users are directed to
use it together with PostGIS:

http://www.postgis.org/