POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crevice grime : Re: Crevice grime Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crevice grime
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Mar 2011 10:00:01
Message: <web.4d7e1e7f50dd01dd81c811d20@news.povray.org>
I have done some adjustments to my testing.  I reverted to using a
pseudo-raytrace method for sampling: a square grid of traces from the camera to
the object.  This gives much more effective coverage and ignores unseen surfaces
(not good for reflections yet).

I also tried out the harmonic mean approach to the colouring,as per clipka's
suggestion, and it looks ok at present.  The only problem I foresee with it is
that it is not bounded by 1, however this may work out favourably by truncating
at 1, which would mean any value above 1 has zero effect.

This run uses a normal offset of 60deg, with 32 rotated samples.  It coulred by
a direct harmonic mean of standardized distances (distances are standardized by
len/D where D=40, note the main sphere is 80 diameter).

I may still look at alternate distance weighting options such as inverse power
(1/2^x)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: