POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crevice grime : Crevice grime Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Crevice grime
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Mar 2011 11:25:01
Message: <web.4d7ce0ac2db92e22b05ef170@news.povray.org>
I tried a very crude implementation of my crevice grime idea (p.g) to see how it
would work in general.  The object on the left is my base object.  On the right
is my crevice results.

For this I am basically tracing a regular set of points around my object.  I
then use tha point and normal found to run a series of traces at some angle from
the normal rotated around the normal (in this case I am using 32 traces at 75
degrees).  I then check for intersection and distance to intersection for all
traces and then place a sphere on the surface at that location that is coloured
based on the average distance to intersections.

Very crude, but it appears to work somewhat, other than I would have liked to
colour my object directly rather than the little spheres.  I am also using a
regular spherical array of traces from the center of the base object.

Perhaps one day I will get into the internal code and see if it's possible to
code internally.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: