POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT Dragon : Re: SSLT Dragon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT Dragon
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Mar 2011 17:50:01
Message: <web.4d7bf81ad81bd80d8eebbb560@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 12/03/2011 7:47 PM, nemesis wrote:
> > BTW, I thought povray's SSLT (why not the more common SSS?) was supposed to
> > optimize away media-based SSS.
> >

> Don't ask me ;-)

my bad: as McGregor noticed in another thread, SSS plays bad with radiosity like
radiosity used to play with reflections, but you can still render fast SSS
results and composite them with a radiosity scene. :)

> > have you guys been using the full-resolution model or the highest resolution
> > decimated version?
>
> I've been using my own decimated version. I reduced is as far as I could
> and still keep most of the detail.

I've used the highest resolution decimated version from this:

ftp://graphics.stanford.edu/pub/3Dscanrep/dragon/dragon_recon.tar.gz

to "photograph" this miniature:

http://i54.tinypic.com/s0wj1c.jpg

sadly this tone mapped and defocused composite can't quite show off the
different SSLT in the 3 figures (lot in the front, quite less in second dragon
and none in the one behind), so here's the raw render from Blender:

http://i54.tinypic.com/69m4d4.jpg

took 15 minutes on a Q6600.  Then again, SSS in Blender is just a post-process
involving the shadows and the z-buffer.  Much like the focal blur too...