POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light Attenuation : Light Attenuation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Light Attenuation
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 11 Mar 2011 17:00:01
Message: <web.4d7a9b3cf36cbfe281c811d20@news.povray.org>
From my discussion at p.g

The attached image illustrates the differenc in light falloff functions.  I have
used a function pigment to illustrate the colour rather than light, but the idea
is the same.

In the image, the red circle represents x=1.
On the right side is the falloff.  The top is the falloff function used by POV,
the bottom is the pure inverse square function.  On the left side I have
illustrated the diffence between the two (subtraction of the formula results).
The top half shows the overcalculation, the bottom the undercalculation.  As we
can see the undercalculation occurs below x=1, and the over calculation occurs
above x=1, with a maximum value at ~x=1.55.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lfo.jpg' (50 KB)