POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray : Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Mar 2011 05:35:00
Message: <web.4d79f9bd6b0cef9b9a1bcfb90@news.povray.org>
> Am 09.03.2011 17:09, schrieb nemesis:
> The multipass approach
> has its limitations; for instance. AO breaks down for indoor scenes.

Only because its not true AO, just radiosity under an overcast sky. ;)

> When it comes to CG movies, a multipass approach is no doubt a crucial
> timesaver, and the action hides the flaws rather easily; but for stills
> I'm sure it's not a cure-all.

It's used in a bunch of radiosity HOF scenes to handle reflections without using
exponentially increased rendertimes and more radiosity artifacts (at least for
older radiosity)...

Also, it's not like as if povray wants to be a physically-based unbiased and
slow raytracer, is it?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzbNX5-6wP4pyz32VitjtJt10WM47OzdGTJdqUcTiNIYpGCb83AA

> > I know it's a postprocess to combine the results and it
> > is outside the scope of a raytracer,
>
> I wouldn't really consider that postprocessing.

Better yet. :)