POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray : Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-pass rendering and compositing in POV-Ray
From: nemesis
Date: 9 Mar 2011 11:10:01
Message: <web.4d77a6206b0cef9b8eebbb560@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> > "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> > > So, here's an example shot of the "blob with negative strength" from the
> > > pvengine64 "Insert" menu, using five separate render passes.
> >
> > And here's the final SDL composite :)

awesome.

But really, this is why pov-ray never quite gets much of a foothold:  only
ingenious guys like you, Sam Benge, Jaime Vives Piqueres and a host of others to
imagine such tricks.  And even worse: some tricks that ought to be in the
software are seemingly always reinvented by newcomers, like stacked sky,
micronormals and this one:  it is a well known fact that the multipass approach
is the way to go and that radiosity does not play fine with reflections,
refractions, media and now SSS.

So, how about a multipass switch for povray, devs?  I mean, sure there's the
quality switches going from 1 (plain constant ambient light) to 9 (full with
radiosity), but the numbers going higher only add more effects, don't isolate
them from one another.  I know it's a postprocess to combine the results and it
is outside the scope of a raytracer, but then again, an IDE to write scenes is
also outside the scope of a raytracer.  At the very least, providing scripts for
such...