POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Matinee : Re: Matinee Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Matinee
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 7 Mar 2011 19:05:01
Message: <web.4d757230f5e1e8f894d713cc0@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I was doing some tooling about with the latest lighting challenge from 3DRender
> (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=955407) which features a
> movie theatre.  One of the maon aspects of lighting here will be that coming
> from the screen.  I first started using radiosity with an image projected on the
> screen, however it was becoming apparent that it may take some really high
> quality settings to get good results.  I then though of using an array of area
> lights created from the projector image. I had already done a lot of the
> mathwork in my lightdome work, so I did some quick conversions to making a
> planar version of it with some nice results.
>
> In the attached image, the first part is radiosity with some low quality
> settings.  The second is using the arealight array (16 area lights, 4x4 each).
>
> -tgq

Sweet! I was looking at that one too when I grabbed the truck model from there
last week. I'm glad I could jog your memory about the challenge - it's good to
see you are actually doing it. You're off to a good start, that's for sure. I
see Ive's interested too, any more POVers up for it? Let's show 'em what we can
do :)

I have the challenge models but haven't started on it yet thanks to the SSLT
distractions this past week. But those distractions have actually opened up a
new way of thinking for me that will come in handy on that theater shot...

Cheers,
Rob

www.McGregorFineArt.com