POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural texture : Re: Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural tex= Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Randomized orientation of pattern instances: an infinite procedural tex=
From: Edouard
Date: 7 Mar 2011 04:15:00
Message: <web.4d74a1bd9fd12700c4633eb90@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The basis for this texture is the 'cells' pattern.
>
> At each cell, another (visible) pattern is copied across space and randomly
> translated along each axis. Each cell references eight neighboring cells,
> producing a random, but coherent orientation of pattern instances stretching off
> to infinity.
>
> For this image, four images of leaves were used for input. These four images
> were used to make seven images of overlapping leaves. These seven images were
> used in a gradient z pattern. The resulting pattern was then unevenly scaled and
> twisted along the z-axis.
>
> In this way, an infinite texture is produced from just a few images, and it
> doesn't exhibit the usual repetition present when using straight image_maps.
> Common elements still show up regularly, but new images can be tossed into the
> array until it's too hard to tell anymore.
>
> Unfortunately, the input pattern is sampled 9 times. For each of those 9 times,
> the cells pattern is sampled 3 times and another function is used two times
> (9*(3+2))... so it renders slowly :(
>
> ~Sam

Ahhhhhh, fantastic!

Can't wait for the source to try it out!

A friend of mine sent me a link a few days ago to this:

http://johanneskopf.de/publications/blue_noise/

Similar idea, based on Wang Tiles (they also do recursive Wang Tiles, which is
even cleverer).

So that's twice in about 4 days I've had my ind blown with seamless tiling!

Cheers,
Edouard.