POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hypercubes : Re: Hypercubes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypercubes
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 5 Mar 2011 16:10:00
Message: <web.4d72a671867fdfd31a86e02e0@news.povray.org>
> Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>
> > I hacked this out in some spare (read: stolen) time yesterday.  It's a simple
> > orthogonal mapping of the points in an n-dimensional hypercube plotted around a
> > circle of given radius.
What we're concerned with is topology:  As long as each point remains connected
to its original neighbors, its physical location is unimportant.

In this case, the circle is a convenient reference frame for placing the
vertices as long as one remembers that the adjacents of a given node are those
whose index number is offset by exactly one bit.

> I didn't quite follow how the circle plays into this ...
>
> > I'll admit, it doesn't look like much, at the moment.
>
> Try animating it with a rotating hypercube, might look interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out rotations, it's easy to keep track of edges
between adjacent vertices when the nodes are in order, but once out of order I
have to keep track of a node's index while its position changes, which is
considerably more difficult.

I could probably do some sort of dynamic array thing using the Resize_Array
macro, and use the array to redraw the hypercube with each frame, but the arrays
grow exponentially with respect to the number of dimensions.

I'd also have to store the array on the disk each time.

Regards,

A.D.B.