POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hypercubes : Hypercubes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Hypercubes
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 4 Mar 2011 20:15:01
Message: <web.4d718db31975f9add7f39bd00@news.povray.org>
I hacked this out in some spare (read: stolen) time yesterday.  It's a simple
orthogonal mapping of the points in an n-dimensional hypercube plotted around a
circle of given radius.

I'll admit, it doesn't look like much, at the moment. It isn't as pretty as I'd
like.

I have been working on this idea for a while now, The nodes are indexed in the
order that they are placed -- starting at the right and moving
counter-clockwise, the adjacents are determined by conducting a series of
bitwise-xor operations between the index of the current node and each successive
power of 2 from 0 to 2^N

Funny story:

I searched the newsgroup before embarking on this endeavor, and the only mention
of bitwise operations I saw indicated that they were not supported and likely
never would be (except by patch) because, "why would you need them?".

So I went needlessly out of my way, and wrote macro versions of the bitwise
operators (converting ints to arrays and back)

When I tried to render, PoV told me, politely, that there were already functions
with the names I had chosen (what are the odds?  great programmers think alike?)

the point, I suppose, is: Thanks (to whomever) for implementing these functions,
because there is a point to having them in a mathematical toolbox.

end Segue:

the coloring for each node and it's edges is a semi-random value between ~0.29
and 255.

What I have yet to figure out is how to "untwist" the projections without
plotting 2^N points by hand - it would sort of run counter to the point.

I would also like to extend the projection into 3D, in some manner.  I've been
trying to think of how to create a mapping similar to a coxeter projection
algorithmically. From there, it should be simple to add a Z-offset to each
concentric ring.

If anyone wants to see the source, I can post it in p.b.s.f.
as usual ideas or comments are welcome.

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: