POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT Dragon : Re: SSLT Dragon Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT Dragon
From: Edouard
Date: 1 Mar 2011 05:00:01
Message: <web.4d6cc33fd81bd80dc4633eb90@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 24/02/2011 9:30 AM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> >> I had the same problem with Lucy, using MeshLab. Somehow I could not get it
> > What seemed to be the issue? I also converted Lucy (I think with Meshlab +
> > Poseray) a couple of years ago and had no problems. I did lower the triangle
> > count a bit, since the file size was vast and I knew most of it would be
> > sub-pixel in the scene I was making...
> >

> MeshLab fails with an error message saying that the application has
> requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
>
> PoseRay might do it. But slowly, slowly!
> After about 10 minutes loading the PLY file the % completed bar is at
> about 2%.

I thought I'd give this a go - I grabbed the PLY file of Lucy and wrote a few
lines of Smalltalk to convert into a mesh2 file - took about 30 minutes. Flat
polygons, but, as Bill said, they're probably going to be sub-pixel anyway.

But. But... The resulting file (with 5 decimal places of accuracy) is 1.2GB in
size, and when I tried to render it on my 4GB MacBook Pro, POV took about 3.8GB
of Virtual Memory, which nowhere near fitted into the 2.3GB of free RAM I had
after the OS and file buffers took their slices. I left it trying to parse the
file for about 50 minutes then just gave up.

I might give it a go on an AWS EC2 cloud instance - it's US$0.68 per hour for a
8 CPU/7G RAM/64 Bit machine. But I've still got to get a 1.2GB file onto it!

I'm *not* going to give anyone the file, but you welcome to take the code and
run it yourself in Pharo 1.2 (a Smalltalk development environment). You *will*
need a 6GB, 8GB or greater machine to use the mesh2 though!

Cheers,
Edouard.