POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT future : Re: SSLT future Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT future
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 20 Feb 2011 15:20:01
Message: <web.4d6176663084c50794d713cc0@news.povray.org>
> A glimpse into the future of POV-Ray's Subsurface Light Transport...

Wow, that looks really great Christoph! I've been thinking about SSLT ivory
since Stephen first showed his lamp scene; such a pain to get it right! Here are
a couple of 10cm-long test rhinos, on left with no SSLT, on right with SSLT base
texture and layered texture with pigment at filter 0.6 (trying to match a
reference photo), no radiosity. Not too bad I guess...

But your new method looks to be SO MUCH better! A few questions:

* Will radiosity work okay with it? I get lots of blocky artifacts with SSLT and
radiosity in the current implementation.

* Will we be able to set a scattering color that's different than the specified
pigment?

* Does this new version still use the scattering/absorbing coefficients and
mm_per_unit?

Regardless, really looking forward to trying it - thanks for your hard work!

Cheers,
Rob
www.McGregorFineArt.com

Post a reply to this message