POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Futrther ligthdome development and testing : Re: Futrther ligthdome development and testing Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Futrther ligthdome development and testing
From: Edouard
Date: 19 Feb 2011 23:55:00
Message: <web.4d609de424e4a25da4898970@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I'll have a look at your HDR. Looks, good, nice and clean.  How did you make it?
>  Mirror ball or panoramic stitching?  It looks like you may not have quite the
> dynamic range to capture the sun level as it flattens out at about 5 stops.
> This is one of the most difficult things for creating HDR with direct sunlight,
> and I have found very few that have the true full dynamic level of the sun.  One
> thing I would suggest is to always take a photo at your fastest shutter speed as
> part of the bracketing to capture as high as you can.  I will also try with my
> dynamic range rebuilding option in my lighting which can recover or fake it
> fairly well at times.  Do you have any other HDRs available?  I always liek to
> find new ones that may have different interesting lighting effects.

The source images should have captured the range OK; I used +2 to -7 as the
exposure range (so 10 stops in total). I think there are two causes for it not
being as higher dynamic range as the dativ.at one: 1) it's right at sunset, so
there is less light from the sun than normal, and secondly, the source image is
quite small, so there a single pixel probably covers a larger area than the
actual sun, thus "diluting" its brightness a bit.

I've got some more light probes I've done myself with a mirror ball. I'll get
around to organising then and putting then on my website just as soon as I get
around to getting my website :-)

Cheers,
Edouard.