POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dielectric experiments : Re: Dielectric experiments Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dielectric experiments
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 15 Feb 2011 18:00:01
Message: <web.4d5b042193e5ac6794d713cc0@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:

> Not so sure about the usefulness of such high values but anyway glass
> (and diamonds for that matter) are actually quite boring dielectrics. My
> favorite personal challenge is still porcelain where the refracted light
> does not simply travel along but gets scattered. I own a tea set made of
> Chinese porcelain (and have made a digital model of some parts of it)
> and I can render it and it might be even be recognized as porcelain but
> yet I do completely fail to capture the *beauty* of the light
> interacting with it.
>
> -Ive

I've never tried rendering procelain before, that sounds interesting. I have a
few pieces here that I can use as reference, I think I'll give it a shot.

As for the higher IOR values becoming boring, I agree, but I wanted to observe
the changes that occur as the index changes from 1 (completely transparent) to
80,000 (completely solid/reflective) so I made this video and posted it on
Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/19916827

I didn't realize the default Vimeo aspect ratio would distort my shot so much
until after it uploaded, so my orb looks like an egg (I'm re-rendering at the
Vimeo's default 800x480 to fix it).

The refraction and photons are fun to watch, the reflection not so much, so I
used a spline to control the IOR and "speed up" most of the reflection frames. I
was especially suprised by the lens-flare-like photon effect that happens on
that table between IOR 3-4; pretty cool. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Rob

www.McGregorFineArt.com

Post a reply to this message