POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 1957 Bel Air - revisited : Re: 1957 Bel Air - revisited Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1957 Bel Air - revisited
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Feb 2011 09:25:01
Message: <web.4d57e9b829817e6cb05ef170@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> schreef in bericht
> > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:50:27 -0500, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> >
> >> Rerun of an old scene, with lower perspective, different env map and
> >> focal blur (of course...).
> >
> > Very nice - one question, though, is it just me, or do the headlights
> > look odd?
>
> I think they need some more subdivision as the mesh seems to be too crude.
>
> Thomas

That's part of it.  The mesh I'm using (from elsewhere( is not refined enough as
can be seen around the wheel well and whell itself.

I think there is more issues with the headlight than just that though.  One
problem that always comes up, is these models come with a single layer mesh for
the window, headlight glass etc, which, when rendered as glass in POV becomes
infinitely thick, so I have to manually manipulate the mesh to add a second
layer so the glass has thickness.  Typically for older style head lights, the
interior surface of the glass is not smooth, but facted.  Perhaps I should try
adding some normals to them.

-tgq