POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Candle Man! : Re: Candle Man! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Candle Man!
From: gregjohn
Date: 16 Jan 2011 08:25:02
Message: <web.4d32f0da2fb8e3da34d207310@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:Very useful experiment. Here are some comments:

> -The dark blueish tip of the fingers...

I did another experiment where I went across a wide range of mm_per_unit scale.
At low values, everything is blue, then with medium values, only the fingertips
& ears are blue.  With higher still, the vertices-- eventually the edges!-- turn
"extra bright". You can already see it here in my image, in the center of the
pectoral muscles.  This image actually has worst of both worlds-- blue ears and
shiny vertices.

> -for specular or reflection,

What would a "rougher value" be? This is frankly scary to someone who was
turning his nose at all photorealism not long ago.  :)

> -About the shiny vertices in the diffuse+sss version,
> I would rather say they are accurate as you seem
> to have used a non smoothed mesh. you can smooth it in
> blender 2.5 and export to POV from there now. You'd
> just need to find the temporary folder where the
> blender file is exported. to copy and paste mesh2
> data in yours.

Fair enough suggestion, but it's the case that the triangle EDGES also start to
show up as well with higher mm's.

I would also use this platform to repeat my request for the best material for
human skin that could be "donated" to the makehuman project, SSS or no.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fingers.png' (599 KB)

Preview of image 'fingers.png'