POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Question : Re: A Question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Question
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 14 Jan 2011 03:10:01
Message: <web.4d300482a5aa54441a86e02e0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > I'm working on a concept for a shoreline backed by Basalt columns. I'm using a
> > randomly tiled hexagonal pattern function with a height field and multiplying it
> > by f_ridged_mf
> >
> > The problem I'm having is that the tops of the columns should be flat, not
> > slanted, so that the base offset follows the contour of f_ridged_mf, but their
> > height does not.
> >
> > Not sure if that makes sense.
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> For that, I'd use an hexagonal prism, modeled as a mesh, that is tilled
> with various vertical scales dictated by your function.
>
> The mesh is to reduce the memory use and will render much faster than
> the isosurface version.
>

> Alain

Yeah... Not sure what you have in mind, but I couldn't figure out anything that
looked remotely right.

I realize there are going to be problems with the height_field approach, not the
least of which are the vertical striations in the columns, I would like to use
your approach.  (although I might use a csg hex tile)

I could create caves this way.

the thing I like about the hf approach is that I could conceivably create a
pigment function that contains multiple sub-patterns using pigment_map (Basalt
columns turning into black sand, for instance.)

I'm quite at a loss...  What I'd like to do, ultimately is a shoreline of basalt
columns and outcroppings fading into green hills inland, which is why I was
using the height_field.  I tried using an isosurface, but the max_gradient was
way too high. (over 5000)

Regards,

A.D.B.