POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Candle Man! : Re: Candle Man! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Candle Man!
From: gregjohn
Date: 12 Jan 2011 12:15:01
Message: <web.4d2de1632fb8e3da34d207310@news.povray.org>
Here are some new experiments based on a better following of advice of Christoph
and the SIGGRAPH paper:
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/papers/bssrdf/bssrdf.pdf

I used their Skin1 (I presume African), Skin2 (Caucasian/ Asain), and Chicken1
(completely unexpected-- even for "dark meat".).  Compared are my previous
"mistake" of basing the subsurface parameters on a typical skin color, and using
diffusion.  And that's all compared to a typical pre-SSS texturing.  The image
was labeled in Powerpoint and screen-grabbed from there, but I don't think the
quality is adversely affected.

Comments:
i) The non-SSS looks so hideous I don't know if I want to render a human that
way again.
ii) The paper talks about Fresnel reflection, but these people are a bit too
reflective. And um, I don't know what specular to use.
iii) All the SSS folks have unusually dark fingers and ears. This may be the
limitation of the technique.  Lower values of mm_per_unit give darker fingers;
higher values make some of the vertices stand out in an unusual way, one which
is just starting to happen in this image.
iv) With any future experimentation I think I would start adding some diffuse. I
bet that'll fix the dark ears & fingers and make it a little less waxy.

PS. I could "donate" anonymously, CC-Zero license, the mesh exported from this
Circa 2009 version of makehuman, if "povray" wants it.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sssviews.png' (811 KB)

Preview of image 'sssviews.png'