POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?) : Re: We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: We need a gamma 1.0 color-picker app (?)
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Jan 2011 00:35:01
Message: <web.4d2d3ceac140d037196b08580@news.povray.org>

> I'd say, a dialog in the POV-Ray GUI would be best for such a purpose.
> [clip]
> ...a built-in color picker in the POV-Ray GUI, giving colors in the
> fitting range, with "auto-paste" functionality, would be nice anyway.

Built-in to Windows POV-Ray?!  WONDERFUL idea. I didn't dare to even suggest
that; but I have to admit that it was on my mind. ;-) Glad to see it mentioned
by someone else!

> Note however that various versions of Photoshop
> do not exactly default to a gamma 2.2, but to sRGB color space...

I keep forgetting that the two are not quite identical; I need to re-read all of
your WIKI material.

Do I understand that sRGB and 'vanilla' gamma 2.2 are different ICC profiles?
Sorry if that's a rather 'newbie' question; it's just difficult to keep track of
some of this arcane stuff. If they're different, which one is better for
rendering with POV-Ray using assumed_gamma 1.0?

Ken