POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma Reference Image : Re: Gamma Reference Image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Reference Image
From: Edouard
Date: 22 Dec 2010 16:10:01
Message: <web.4d126873c77cc076f6080f4d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > Idem for me as for Kenneth, also in Firefox. It is not the white background.
> > Even the ceiling light in POV-Ray is pure white, compared to muddy grey in
> > the photograph.
>
>   There indeed seems to be something wrong with the original photograph,
> as posted. One would indeed assume the ceiling light should be pure
> white in the image (I'm assuming in the original HDRI image it's "whiter
> than white").
>
>   Exactly what kind of adjustment was made to the original data in order
> to get the posted "photograph"?

The original was taken with a CCD, so the captured response is linear. Taking
the 600nm OpenEXR version and converting it to a 2.2 gamma gives a realistic
image to my eyes. If the original was a photograph, then you'd have a non-linear
tone curve to deal with (exponential, but with rolloff on the top and bottom)

Cheers,
Edouard.