POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma Reference Image : Re: Gamma Reference Image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Reference Image
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Dec 2010 14:35:01
Message: <web.4d11007fc77cc076196b08580@news.povray.org>
> The following images show the Cornell University's famous "Cornell Box"
> reference scene for 3D rendering...
>
> (1) as a photograph taken from the "real thing" at Cornell University,
> using sophisticated calibrated equipment, at a wavelength of 600nm; the
> original is an OpenEXR image; I applied linear brightness adjustment for
> more contrast and converted to PNG for convenience, which shouldn't hurt
> its fitness for serving as a reference image...

I hope I'm not muddying the issue (or doing something stupid at my end), but
your posted Cornell .png photograph is definitely the worst of the lot, when
viewed on-line in the latest Firefox browser (v3.6.13): low contrast and darker
than any of the POV-Ray images. Perhaps it needs tweaking in some further way,
to make it a good comparison image? (I'm *guessing* that it was meant to compare
more favorably with the gamma 1.0 image, or vice versa.) Here are some simple
screen shots, assembled in Photoshop (which didn't materially affect how they
appear in Firefox); just a simple JPEG.

Ken

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: