POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Stephen Klebs
Date: 2 Dec 2010 17:15:01
Message: <web.4cf81a3da2356450fc413f510@news.povray.org>

> On most displays, image "gammachecker_3.6.png" will show a chrome sphere
> on a checkered plane, but there's something wrong here: The checkering
> shouldn't be there - the plain grey tiles have a brightness of 0.5,
> while the striped tiles have alternating lines of 0.0 black and 1.0
> white, so should appear just as bright as the grey if you squint your
> eyes; and in indeed both tiles appear to have the same brightness in the
> reflection, where anti-aliasing computes the correct result.

Your gammachecker_3.6 is fascinating. Is the scene file floating around
somewhere. I assume from the title it's done in 3.6 -- if that makes any
difference.

I don't really understand how this tests gamma, though, which in practical
terms, for how I use it, has to do with the relative relation of highlight and
midtones and shade and shadow, or in Photoshop terms, "curves."