POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Gamma Again : Re: More Gamma Again Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Gamma Again
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Dec 2010 08:05:01
Message: <web.4cf646f3a2356450196b08580@news.povray.org>
> Am 30.11.2010 22:51, schrieb Kenneth:
> > coherent and accurate approach to lighting, colors, etc. And Clipka has
> > mentioned that a 'pre-3.7 gamma switch' is being discussed (which would seem
> > to be a solution to 'our problem'-- less of a 'blunt weapon' approach than
> > simply using the version 3.6 directive.)
>
> If the change proves to work as intended, you will essentially have
> three choices: [...]

That would make an *excellent* set of tools, covering every possible scenario
AFAIK. Kudos for the concept! Not that I would want to continue indefinitely
with the *old way* of doing things re: gamma--but it sure makes 'the paradigm
change' easier to swallow ;-)

> There will also be some caveats regarding PNG input files.

Not unexpected. There was always a hidden caveat anyway, when using png input
images in v.3.6.1 (with assumed_gamma 2.2)--the only good way to get them to
reproduce *as expected* was to embed a gamma of 1.0 into them, via Photoshop or
some such. (At least, that was my own experience, using my *legacy* version of
Photoshop 5.0.)

Ken