POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tourist Trap (optical illusion) : Re: Tourist Trap (optical illusion) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:32:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tourist Trap (optical illusion)
From: Eriban
Date: 27 Nov 2010 05:55:00
Message: <web.4cf0e33a2256eca181475b100@news.povray.org>
"gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote:
> The part that sticks out to me is the direction of the light/shadows.  The
> structure has the light on the left and shadows on the right, however, on the
> tree, grass & fence posts the light is on the right w/ shadows to the left.

At the top of the picture the light indeed comes from the left, whereas at the
bottom (including the bottom part of the tower) it comes from the right. This is
necessary to keep the main tower walls consistently lit despite their apparent
change in orientation going from top to bottom. Fellow ray-tracers may spot this
immediately and even find it distracting. Most people hardly seem to notice it
though :-)