POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : motion blur test : Re: motion blur test Server Time
1 Jun 2024 13:09:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: motion blur test
From: Tek
Date: 16 Nov 2010 05:35:01
Message: <web.4ce25de07450cbb2caa39c860@news.povray.org>
I forgot to say: In my experience with virtual motion blur, blurring the entire
duration of the frame gave the smoothest and most continuous sense of movement.
Which isn't terribly surprising. Our game was running at 60 fps and we did 3
blur samples, creating the impression of a game at 180 fps downsampled to 60,
this really felt smooth. Though the lower the frame rate gets the more obvious
the blur becomes and the less it feels like movement.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 24fps standard of movies for exactly that
reason, in busy action scenes you can really lose any sense of how things are
moving. Of course good directors use that confusion to good effect, like the
Bourne films and the aforementioned Private Ryan sequence.

And regarding the shutter time, I'd probably write the code like this:

#declare NumSubFrames = 10;
#declare ShutterProportion = .5;
#declare ActualFrame = int(frame_number/NumSubframes);
#declare SubFrame = mod(frame_number,NumSubframes);
#declare Time = (ActualFrame + SubFrame*ShutterProportion)/FramesPerSecond;