POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : motion blur test : Re: motion blur test Server Time
16 Jun 2024 02:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: motion blur test
From: Tek
Date: 15 Nov 2010 07:15:01
Message: <web.4ce1239e7450cbb2caa39c860@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Lately, I've been experimenting with a subtle alteration of how those initial
> frames are generated, to try and get more of a 'motion-picture camera' look to
> the blur: Since a real camera usually has what's called a 180-degree shutter
> (where any film frame sees only 'half' the blurred action--1/60 sec. in your
> example, though I use 1/48-- then the shutter blocks the other half while the
> film is being transported)

Interesting. I've played with similar things on a realtime motion blur effect a
few years ago. I assumed the shutter time could be adjusted (to control exposure
as well as motion blur, much like the aperture does for focal blur) but I never
actually researched what real cameras do. Is it always 50%?

The thought occurs that you might get a more film-like effect if your first and
last sub-frames had a gradient to black on them, to simulate the blur of the
closing shutter! But I'm probably over-thinking this.