POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : motion blur test : Re: motion blur test Server Time
17 May 2024 23:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: motion blur test
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Nov 2010 22:35:01
Message: <web.4cdcb51f7450cbb2196b08580@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>
> > The only drawback I've noticed when averaging frames is that any scene
> > elements that are supposed to be *really* bright (like looking directly at
> > a motion-blurred lightbulb) will end up being smeared out to a dimmer,
> > translucent streak...
>
> Not if you set the output file format to HDR (radience) or OpenEXR - the
> highlights are preserved correctly with those. That's how I do my all frame
> averaging.

Interesting, and good to know.  (Alas, I'm still muddling along in v3.6.1; no
HDR or OpenEXR output.) I should have mentioned that my own frame averaging is
done within POV-Ray (by simply applying the static images to a box for
averaging/re-rendering, using ambient 1.0)

For HDR/OpenEXR averaging or blending, do you use an external image editor like
Photoshop? Or can the averaging be done in POV-Ray like I do (using the
appropriate beta version, of course) and still retain those highlights and
dynamic range? I.e., has the *average* pattern in POV-Ray been changed as well,
to retain the higher dynamic range of such averaged images?

Ken