POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Releasing kobldes v0.59-2a : Re: Releasing kobldes v0.59-2a Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Releasing kobldes v0.59-2a
From: Kene
Date: 10 Oct 2010 13:45:00
Message: <web.4cb1fb5029088147531cc5f00@news.povray.org>
> Kene wrote:

> It certainly looks cool.  How do the bounding boxes work out? When I did a
> similar project, I found that having a bunch of walls with windows and doors
> punched in them led to everything being in one huge bounding box, making
> shadows abysmally slow. I had to break up my description into individual
> rooms even when (for example) the outside walls were the same shape on every
> story.

I have not worked with or manipulated bounding boxes. Working with kobldes is
like creating each individual wall as a prism, then constructing the holes using
cylinders and boxes which are then differenced from each prism that has a hole.
The only difference with working manually is that you type much less directives
and kobldes calculates and makes available all critical points (intersections,
midpoints, bases, etc.) in an effort to assist the design of building spaces.

There is very limited CSG going on except the holes and later on things like
windows and doors. Everything is calculated and put in place using primarily
prisms. I also do not calculate with most of the tools that come with POV-Ray
such as trace. I use simple math such as Pythagorean theorem, etc. Don't know if
this has any advantages or disadvantages though. Time will tell.