POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another rendering ;) : Re: Yet another rendering ;) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another rendering ;)
From: H  Karsten
Date: 18 Aug 2010 22:05:01
Message: <web.4c6c912b9a424a828c39f4500@news.povray.org>
> I learned backward kinematics using Moray years ago. If you can correctly
> define the origin of the rotation points of each movable robotic element,
> you could probably achieve that *fairly easily* in POV-Ray, or am I missing
> something? It is *just* a matter of correctly nesting and translating, and
> defining the rotation angles and constrains. It is a lot of tedious work, to
> be sure, though.

A friend of mine in germany and me, we like to work out the robot-pipeline to
several applications. The next step is Houdini.

The pipeline is:
- Modeling in Rhino - exporting to PovRay, using one .inc file for each object
- converting all incfiles into ONE obj-file, containing the numbers of these
files for each object insight the obj-file
- importing into the 3D-application, still heaving the number as object-names
- all object-names having _ at its end, when now an object is clones as an
instance, the original number is not changed, "object524_" becomes
"object524_01"
- after animating from all objects the _ will be cut off (and all the rest of
the name) so that in PovRay "object524" (former defined as a variable-name) is
being translated several times (once for each instance, coming from the 3D-App),
because all these different object now having the same name.

The problem is actually that after importing the .obj-file into the
3D-application, often names are gone, the rules of renaming when making an
instance is different and so on.

I don't know how it is in Maya but you already see, the animation-process is way
not the only problem.

We need to fix these, by writing scripts for each 3D-app importing the names
too, making the right instance-names and so on.

Hopefully, some day, we have this working for Houdini, Maya, Real3D and Blender
as well.

But this will be a long term work...