POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Windows 7 Install for all users : Re: Windows 7 Install for all users Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:11:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows 7 Install for all users
From: Nick
Date: 23 Jul 2010 09:15:01
Message: <web.4c4994e52a28c89f4c9ffc60@news.povray.org>
"deanmsands3" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > I am installing it with admin privileges...even RClicking "Ran as administrator"
> Using Win7x64, I:
> *Created a shortcut to the Command Prompt
> *Configured the Shortcut to Run As Administrator
> *Ran the Link
> I was dropped to C:\Windows\System32
> *CD \Users\<YourNameHere>\Downloads
> *msiexec /I "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7 beta 38 (64-bit).msi"
>
> And I installed it for Everyone.

msiexec /I "POV-Ray for Windows v3.7 beta 38 (64-bit).msi ALLUSERS=1 /qb- you
would have thought.

And it still insists on going in <homedir>\<user>\appdata\povray\...

Why can't it go in Program Files like everything else?  If you force it there it
will work for you - even then you have to fix the shortcut.  But no shortcuts
for anyone else, broken or otherwise, and a warning box that the application was
installed incorrectly when you run it direct from the executable.

So a plea please for a working installer designed for on multi-user systems, eg
for classroom use which is what I want to do.