POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Quickie wood floor texture : Re: Quickie wood floor texture Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quickie wood floor texture
From: Edouard
Date: 14 Jul 2010 18:35:01
Message: <web.4c3e3abb2ba8dabf165c3ed60@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> > Just a quick attempt at a wood floor texture.
> >
> > I'm having all sorts of issues with it ("can't layer a patterned texture over
> > blah blah"
>
> I've run into that same error several times now. For some textures it's a hard
> limitation to work around.

I wish the SDL would give me more "modular" access to the various shader
parameters - for example, I'd like to be able to tweak the reflection without
having to touch anything else. I keep having these dreams about how to fix it
all in the codebase...

> The grooves seem to be the main issue, though. In the reference you linked to,
> they travel along the wood grain, surfacing occasionally. Yours appear to
> surface in a somewhat random fashion.

I felt drawn to trying to model this kind of wood in the SDL for some reason,
but I'm having trouble thinking how to get those grooves via SDL pigments. My
grooves are simply bozo stretched in the z dimension, and modulated by the
underlying wood grain (they appear more in the darker areas, and not at all in
the lightest areas).

I've never tried wood before, but I also didn't feel the ones in wood.inc gave
enough detail for my liking.

> Yours:
> _    -    _   -
>   -    __
> _   -     -   _
>

> Theirs:
> _ __   ___  _  _
> ___   _   ___  _
>  _  _   ___   _

(Heh - here we are on a ray tracing forum, and we're communicating via ASCII
drawings :-)

I know exactly what you mean - but I've run out of ideas for how to get a fixed
width groove to appear and disappear with some correlation to the wood grain...

> Also, the grooves seem a little sharp. Maybe a little more blending wouldn't
> hurt :) Anyway, it looks pretty good.

Thank-you!

> Sam

Cheers,