POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another ringworld revisitation : Re: Another ringworld revisitation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another ringworld revisitation
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Jun 2010 05:35:01
Message: <web.4c2082ca51f7de26dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Impressive indeed!

Isn't it? I was pleased with this.

> I am not too convinced about the view of the sun and shadow squares. The
> glare of the sun should overs-shine the squares and make them invisible I
> guess during day time. Also I wonder if the ring at zenith would be visible
> in that glare.

You are right, of course, I was taking severe artistic license in this matter!
Of course the glare would make the shadow squares all but invisible - however,
it is likely that they would be partly visible during twighlight, and probably
very obvious at night, when they also occlude parts of the arch. I think the
nature of their world would be more apparent to the natives than Niven thinks...

> It now appears as if the sun is much larger than the shadow squares. If this
> were so, there would be no nights at all. In reality (?) the squares are the
> size of the sun's diameter. However, I assume that it is the glare we are
> seeing?

Yes, this was an attempt to depict glare. What I really need to do is make the
glare larger, the sun's disc smaller, and use some kind of colour bleeding to
produce a more (photo)realistic effect. I think it is time to investigate Sam's
macros... :)

I have seen variable-exposure hdr panoramas on photography sites - perhaps I
should also investigate this... I expect the tools required are expensive :(