POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A treacherous Knife [wip 2] : Re: A treacherous Knife [wip 2] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A treacherous Knife [wip 2]
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 17 Jun 2010 14:30:00
Message: <web.4c1a6769816befb61e4ecc3b0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> > That's looking very good! It reminds me that I need to make an
> > illusion.inc
> > tutorial describing how to speed up such renders. Scenes like this can
> > benefit
> > from the technique without a loss of quality.
>
> Thanks indeed, Sam. I shall have a look into illusion.inc as I had not
> realized its potentials.

Currently, illusion.inc does not take .hdr images, nor does it perform a
repeat/flip warp for the edges of the image. Both of these things are necessary
to make the final output convincing. I have a modified version of Rune's file at
hand, but I need to contact him before distributing it. Maybe he'll update his
version with my changes :)

A rough draft of my tutorial is nearly ready. I need to simplify things. There
are some ins-and-outs to making the whole thing work. To quickly summarize, let
me say that you need to:
1) render the background objects with no_image applied to the foreground objects
2) render the foreground objects with the background visible (you can render
only a section of the image to save time, POV-Ray reads partials)
3) finally, render all objects without radiosity/lighting/diffuse/etc., but with
the pre-rendered images applied, and with focal blur

During the first step for your particular scene, I would give the front-most
pillar the no_image attribute, but render everything else. I single it out
because the combined focal blur/compositing errors from it will be most visible.
That pillar will still cast a shadow and contribute to the radiosity, but having
it invisible will allow the background to render, which is what you want for the
first step. After that, you just work your way up to the foreground.

Complex scenes may require more layers, and some scenes will never look right no
matter what you do. But compositing errors in a scene like yours, if everything
is layered correctly, would be hardly noticeable, if at all.

I hope it doesn't sound too complex.

Sam

P.S. How long does "A Treacherous Knife" take to render without focal blur?