POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light Challenge : Re: Light Challenge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Challenge
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 17 Jun 2010 13:55:01
Message: <web.4c1a60efad2ae7551e4ecc3b0@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > For outdoor scenes I almost always have a sky_sphere with a spherical pigment
> > influenced by the sun's position and color. This is to simulate scattered light
> > in the atmosphere, and helps give the radiosity something like a real sky to
> > work with.
>
> Ah, again this points to my lack of experience with radiosity, but I didn't
> realize it would make that big of a difference.  I'll have to try some test
> scenes with and without the spherical pigment to completely convince myself.

It helps, all right. When you test a basic background (using rgb_sky), look at
the shadows. They are quite telling. Giving the sky_sphere a spherical gradient
centered around the sun sort of bridges the gap between the sun's color and the
atmosphere's, helping to harmonize the overall color balance.

> > Apart from what you see in the attached code, I added photons to the cone and
> > shifted the plane up slightly because of a coincident surfaces problem with it
> > and the cone.
>
> Whoops, sorry about the coincident surfaces.  I meant it to be a test scene, but
> not *that* test-y.  ;)

I considered shifting the plane /down/, so that the cone would appear to be
resting on top of the plane. But to keep the appearance of the original behavior
intact, I shifted it up instead.