POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light Challenge : Re: Light Challenge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Challenge
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 16 Jun 2010 14:35:01
Message: <web.4c19181fad2ae755c51b0b8c0@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> what creative lighting solutions can you
> come up with to make this image more interesting?

Fun idea! Here's my try:

global_settings{
 radiosity{
  count 100
  error_bound .1
  pretrace_start .08 pretrace_end .02
  nearest_count 5
  recursion_limit 1
  normal on
  brightness 1
  gray_threshold 0
  adc_bailout 1/256
 }
 photons{ count 12550 }
 ambient_light 0
}

#declare l_pos = <-1, .25, 1>;
#declare l_res = 2;

#declare rgb_sun = <1,.3,.15>*4;
#declare rgb_sky = <.1,.025,.2>;

light_source {
 l_pos*100000, rgb_sun
 area_light x*8000, z*8000, l_res, l_res
 jitter adaptive 2
 circular orient
}

#include "transforms.inc"

sky_sphere{
 pigment{
  spherical
  scale 2
  translate y
  Point_At_Trans(l_pos)
  poly_wave 4
  color_map{
   [0 rgb rgb_sky]
   [1 rgb rgb_sun]
  }
 }
}

The radiosity stuff is straightforward.

For outdoor scenes I almost always have a sky_sphere with a spherical pigment
influenced by the sun's position and color. This is to simulate scattered light
in the atmosphere, and helps give the radiosity something like a real sky to
work with.

Apart from what you see in the attached code, I added photons to the cone and
shifted the plane up slightly because of a coincident surfaces problem with it
and the cone. Then I added some post-processing light blooming to balance the
colors a bit after everything else.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lightingchallenge.jpg' (143 KB)

Preview of image 'lightingchallenge.jpg'
lightingchallenge.jpg