POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light Challenge : Re: Light Challenge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Challenge
From: How Camp
Date: 16 Jun 2010 07:40:01
Message: <web.4c18b6f7ad2ae755c59235590@news.povray.org>
Wow, thanks for your detailed analysis!  You've got some great points, here.

"H. Karsten" <h-karsten()web.de> wrote:
> First is to understand the classic limitations and then making the decision,
> using the classic way, ore the classic way with further techniques, or using
> progressive techniques.

Yes, I agree.  I've been trying to study basic lighting from a beginner's
photography standpoint (three-point lighting, etc.) but I don't always see good
results when translating this to my scenes.

> Your scene contains objects, heaving the "ambient" setting
> set to "0.1" try out, to set it to "0" and using other
> light-sources (very small values in power, using light fading
> and make it "shadowless". With this technique, you can try to
> setup reflecting light, coming from important, and big
> surfaces, illuminating other objects.

If I understand you correctly, the 'reflecting lights' are shadowless light
sources with low values that emulate inter-reflected light from other objects?
For example, if I have a scene with a red car, I might place a red shadowless
light near the car to 'help' cast scattered light...?  It seems you'd have to be
careful not to allow the light to shine back on the object you're emulating.
(Or, perhaps I've misunderstood what you're trying to get across.)

> A basic rule is: Only the main light has a shadow. More then
> one main shadow is something, a professional photographer
> would never except. (For a normal setup)

Interesting!  So, in a real photography setting, how do you add a light source
that doesn't cast a shadow?

Thanks for all your comments!